The PE and Sport premium is designed to help primary schools improve the quality pf the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
PRUs do not receive the funding directly from DfE. The funding is given to the local authority and they determine how much is allocated.
Funding received for 2016/2017: £4,000
How has the money been used in 2016/17?
We provided half a term of swimming lessons for full time pupils attending the The Oaks PRU. The funding supported transportation, pool hire and the costs for weekly swimming lessons. This was an excellent experience for the group of children that took part and for most of the group it was their first outing to a swimming pool to have lessons. The children all excelled and passed their level 1, 2 and 3 swimming qualification.
We also replenished existing equipment; tennis rackets and balls, footballs, basketballs, bean bags etc. This was to update and offer more variety in all areas of physical education. The equipment was not only used during PE lessons but also each playtime to develop hand-eye coordination, throwing/catching skills, working in pairs and in groups. The children continued to develop their co-ordination skills and also their communication skills.
Finally, playground activity floor markings were also purchased and provided an opportunity to use the playground in a more structured and effective way during PE lessons, break and lunch times. These are a permanent fixture and are used for cross-curricular activities.
Funding carried forward to 2017/18: £2,807.63
How will the money be used in 2017/18?
We plan to provide the following:
- Half a term of swimming lessons for all full time pupils attending the PRU across all three sites. The funding will support transportation, pool hire and costs for weekly swimming lessons.
- Replenishment of existing equipment. All of the sites are in the process of ordering new equipment.
- Playground activity floor markings, as not all of the sites have had their playground marked. However, the process is continuing so all of the sites have playground markings.
- Visits to our local sports centre to access expertise and facilities which will enhance the wellbeing and healthy lifestyle of the pupils that attend the PRU.
- External agencies to come in and provide services such tennis lessons.